Apps are typically built in RapidPro and/or powered by RapidPro features, such as:
- Flows and Campaigns to register users, send polls, report indicators and start group chat
- A Channel to support two-way communication over SMS, voice, and/or social media
- Contacts and Groups to manage and organize users
- Triggers to initiate an action based on a keyword, a point in time, a missed call, a message not handled by another trigger or flow, or a social media action
- Messages and Tickets to make it easy to pass a contact's communications off to live human agent via email or other helpdesk service integration
These RapidPro features are applied to an app to send and receive data, such as user registrations, polls, monitoring, etc. The data is also sent to a dashboard where they can be aggregated and displayed for the public or for partners.
Apps can be shared across multiple RapidPro accounts and can be adapted to meet your needs in any context, in any sector.
An example of an app powered by RapidPro is U-Report.
U-Report uses SMS channels and/or Facebook, creates groups of contacts through standard registration flows, communicates with contacts over weekly polls, and typically is triggered by a keyword.
Data from U-Report are sent to a dashboard where U-Reporters can view results and engage with content beyond weekly polls and results. Unsolicited messages are sent to a separate dashboard where partners can open cases and track management of those cases.
Another example is ParentText, which is a new free text message delivery system with the aim to increase the accessibility and engagement of open-source COVID-19 parenting resources.
The ParentText chatbot is programmed in RapidPro with its own dedicated account and channels (WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger). Messages can be customized based on the user’s gender, age, and location.
Through the APIs, RapidPro can be linked to a number of dashboards.
Dashboards are tools that extend and streamline the capabilities of RapidPro for specific purposes, such as monitoring, analytics and visualization. These products provide advanced users with data management, granular access controls, and additional features that add value to certain approaches that RapidPro supports.
In the example of U-Report, to date, 22,051,858 U-Reporters have engaged with the platform, which address community development, youth empowerment and youth education campaigns.